Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Won't You Guide My Mind Tonight ?

Ajahn Thanissaro visited our center recently. I'm guessing his teachings took on a variety of themes dependent on the individuals of his audience. A theme that emerged for me was to actively take responsibility for the atmosphere of my heart and mind by paying attention to what perceptions I gave my attention to.

As mentioned in my last post, my current practice is focused on loosening my grip around some particular out-of-date perceptions. Sure, these perception were useful in their time but, as with all things that arise, these too are beginning to age. The question now is 'can I learn how to let them die'? Well maybe not before I learn how to stop giving them so much attention. Applying Ajahn's advice seemed a good direction to head . . .



I spent the best part of yesterday trying to put together a slide show for the Upasika program's second anniversary celebration this Saturday. After several failed attempts to burn a disk of the completed project I finally gave up. When I noticed my mood begin to slip I brought Ajahn's teachings back to mind and took responsibility for dwelling on the perception of failure. Hours of frustration were indulged before I recalled Ajahn's advice to purposefully place attention on objects that don't give rise to suffering. I took immediate action . . . I'm afraid Ajahn would not be proud but what I did next was to turn off the computer and turn on the T.V., made a big bowl a popcorn, put my feet up on the coffee table and watched my all-time-favorite Christmas claymation "Rudolf the Red Nose Raindeer" . . . I mean really, who doesn't love seeing misfits reach their true potential?



It's a blizzard in this brain of mine: good thing there's bright lights to lead the way.
______________________________
Ajahn Chah feeding deer at his monastery in Ubon, Thailand