Thursday, April 17, 2008

Choosing to Follow


Have recently returned from an intense week at Wat Metta followed by another at Wat Abhayagiri under the guidance of two brilliant Masters (neither of whom would approve of my saying so but there you go, too late now). Ajahn Thanissaro coaxed, teased and flattened a particularly insatiable (and less than beautiful) habit of mine followed by Ajahn Pasanno shoveling up the pieces only to walk away leaving me to follow or wallow, the choice of course is mine.

The benefits of these master’s guidance have led to palatable results and encourages me to follow their lead. The most noticable benefit thus far is felt within the very challenges I alluded to in my previous post. Though these challenges are still present they now arise within a settled heart and mind. I hope to learn how to lean toward, settle into and remain in this contented space. Given time and a whole lot of effort perhaps my appreciation of good teachers will deepen along with a recognition of all they put up with in guiding folks like me ;)

This Buddha statue stands 52 feet and considered to be the highest free-standing Buddha statue of the world.